Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hiddink: I won't be at South Africa


(PA) Monday 7 December 2009
Russia coach Guus Hiddink will not lead another team to the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, the Dutchman has revealed.
Hiddink, who does not expect a decision on his future to be made until the new year, has also revealed his disappointment at Russia missing out on the finals after losing out in a play-off to Slovenia on away goals. He also admitted he could not watch the draw for the FIFA World Cup finals.
The 63-year-old, who has been linked with South Africa, Argentina and also Turkey who have not qualified for the finals, told Russian daily Sport Express: "My working relationships with my employers have always been based on the principles of plain speaking and honesty.
"And in this way I can say for sure that I haven't signed contracts with anybody, nor have I even held any talks, neither with clubs nor federations. I won't hide the fact that many have wanted to hold talks. But I have declined them all."

I won't hide the fact that many have wanted to hold talks. But I have declined them all.
Guus Hiddink, Russia coach.
Hiddink, who reached the finals with his native Netherlands, Korea Republic and Australia, added: "I was so disappointed that our side didn't reach South Africa that watching the draw would have caused me real pain.
"For the whole time that has passed since the match in Maribor I haven't been able to do much in general. The feelings of devastation and disappointment have been colossal. I haven't been to another game since. It has been too unbearable after what happened. These have been very hard days for me."
Hiddink prefers to stay in the background as coaches lead the teams they qualified with into the finals. He said: "Almost all the sides that came through the qualifying stages with their own coaches will be going with them to South Africa. But even if one or another federation were to offer me (the chance) to take charge of their national side for the World Cup, I would refuse. That would only be possible if I had made it through with the team I was in charge of during the qualifiers."
Elections to appoint a successor to Vitaly Mutko, the outgoing president of the Russian Football Association (RFS), are expected to take place at the end of the year. Hiddink also revealed that only once the new man was in place would there be any discussions over his future in Russia.
"I have plenty of time to think about the future and reach the correct decision regarding future work in Russia," he added. "My contract expires at the end of June, which I intend to see through to the end and only then sort out my plans.
"The elections for the RFS presidency take place soon, and at the moment this issue, and consequently the direction of the future development of Russian football, remains unclear. This means there is little I can do for now except wait."
Source: FIFA.com

No comments:

Post a Comment